Place to visit at Ancona
This beautiful Romanic church dedicated to S. Ciriaco stands at the top of the hill dominating the port and the town. Exactly in this point there was the ancient Doric acropolis and the foundations of the cathedral can be confused with the ruins of a temple dedicated to Venere Euplea (IV century b. C.). The floor plan of the church harmoniously combining the Romanic style with the Byzantine influences coming from the East is a Greek cross one; the sculpted portal (XIII century), opened to the sea, is preceded by a marble porch from Verona, supported by subtle columns laid on the back of two stone lions. The cupola has been added in the XVI century; inside, in the Madonna chapel, there is a very rich altar by Luigi Vanvitelli (1723).
It is the heart of the oldest quarters of the city. It takes its name from the statue of Pope Clement XII, responsible for the revival of the eighteenth-century port traffic, but there are also the medieval Palace of the Government, the Church of San Domenico and the sixteenth Civic Tower (1581); many tables of outdoor bar allow you to enjoy the atmosphere of the square sipping some drinks.
With beautiful architectural examples of the twenties and thirties, together with the three parallel courses (Garibaldi, Mazzini and Stamira), is the favorite promenade of the citizens, which allows you to connect the two sides of the promontory on which stands the city; ends at Pinewood Passetto, overlooking the sea, from which you can admire a beautiful view of the high costs. The view extends as far as Mont d’Ancona and far cliffs of the Two Sisters; from Pineta you can reach the sea shore along the steps of the War Memorial or by using a panoramic elevator. The coast of the Passetto is characterized by large rocks and picturesque by the presence, at the base of the cliffs, a peculiarity of the city: the characteristics of the Passetto caves, dug by fishermen since the mid-nineteenth century for use as a shelter for boats.
Nazional Archeological Museum of the Marche
It lies within the sixteenth-century mansion Ferreti. The best place to learn about the prehistory and early history of the Marche region; includes extensive collections relating to Greek, Roman and the Gauls. The findings related to Picene form the most complete existing collection; for the richness of its collections, the museum is one of the most important archaeological museums in Italy.
IL MARE DELLE MARCHE
Conero Natural Park
A promontory plunging into the sea: it is the Regional Park of Mount Conero, along the Adriatic coast in the province of Ancona. A pearl in the heart of the region.
The Conero regional Park includes a third of the floristic heritage of all the region as well as the numerous species of birds such as: the gabbiano corallino (seagull), the buzzard, the hawk and the cormorant, very easy to see.
For an open air holiday, the explorations of the park are a really good idea. All the itineraries proposed, first of all a 5 hours bicycle tour discovering the most suggestive Conero areas. Walks for trekking amateurs and for not so well trained people. The Consorzio del parco gives a lot of information and suggests itineraries suitable to everybody.
The numerous bays of the coast offer characteristic views where to find beautiful small villages.
In this small village on the Conero Riviera there is a real jewel of Marche Romanic architecture, the church of S. Maria di Portonovo. Built in great blocks of clear stone by the Benedettini, around 1050, it combines the basil’s scheme with the Greek cross floor plan surmounted by a dome. Not far from the church there is a fortino napoleonico, a military rampart built in 1808 and now transformed into a hotel.
From the houses and from the squares of this small fortified village , high on the sea, you can enjoy this beautiful panorama on the Adriatic sea and on the slopes of the Mount Conero: on the sea, not so far from the village, it is possible to see in the middle of the sea the famous Due Sorelle, two white calcareous stacks. The narrow streets, tracts of the Medieval walls (as the baluardo del Torrino) still reflect the origin of Sirolo, born in the Middle Ages and soon surrounded by walls (sec. XI); in the very suggestive small squares and streets it is possible to find some beautiful churches such as the Madonna del Rosario (with frescos going back to the XVI century), and the church of SS. Sacramento.
This small marine village on the edges of the Conero promontory has a very old tradition: it was in fact born as port of the Pre-Roman Piceni population, before becoming a municipium of Rome. Nowadays it is characterized by a long and picturesque staircase, the Costarella; the ideal place for the shopping and the aperitifs and for admiring the
works of the itinerant painters.
In the church of the Madonna del Crocifisso a wooden crucifix is preserved (Romanic, end of the XII century) among the most enigmatic and beautiful works of the Christian culture.
National Antiquarian, Numana
Housed in a building owned by the local municipal government, the Antiquarium di Numana was established and opened to the public in 1974 in order to exhibit the exceptional artifacts found during excavation of the successful conduct between the late ’60s and the ‘beginning of the next decade. On this occasion they were brought to light over five hundred tombs of the necropolis belonging to Piceni people from Quagliotti-Davanzali of Sirolo.
As a result of these findings, Numana is confirmed to be the most important center of the Piceno in the protohistoric age.